I can't remember exactly how I came upon an absolutely fantastic contemporary art book dedicated solely to the octopus (I think it was a google search of some sort, entailed by leagues of research to find out who the publisher is and from where I might purchase a copy, blah, blah, blah...). Once I discovered the publisher, I discovered its website. After I discovered its website, I discovered that the art featured within the pages of its books is really a showcase of artists whose works (paintings, drawings, sculptures, tattoos) make the final cut following an themed open submission.
Earlier this year, I responded to an open call for skull & skeleton artwork, entitled "Excavate: Unearthing Artistic Skeletal Remains", by submitting three of my oil paintings. Today, I'm happy to announce that two of my three made it into the final publishing. My "Portrait No. 3" and "Outer Orbit" paintings will be featured alongside hundreds of other talented artists' works from around the world. I am extremely humbled and grateful to have my art chosen for it.
Out Of Step Books is the publisher and the folks there are now taking pre-orders for this book through their website. The books are expected to ship the second week of October. I have been in correspondence with Jinxi Caddel, one half of the owner/husband-wife/luchador tag-team duo, and she is one of the sweetest people I have ever had the pleasure of getting to know. They ensure quality, love and care with every single transaction. You shan't be disappointed.
You can order your copy by clicking here or on any of the links above: Out Of Step Books
This is, more or less, a short documentation of the developmental process for my skateboard deck piece "Panacea." I made sure to take pictures as best I could along the way to show the progression of it to completion. I might start doing this for more of my pieces..maybe even some video.
I really didn't know how to approach this project which, to be honest, was spurred solely by a call-to-artists post I found on craigslist for an all skateboard deck art show at a local coffee shop. I was juggling the potential mediums with which to start working and really had no idea what the hell I was going to do until I started doodling with my Prismacolor pencils.
Without any further delay, here is a glimpse from start to finish:
I obviously had to have a flat surface to work on, so I disassembled the hardware from the deck and started sanding off the graphics and grinding the nicks down with an orbital sander. Meanwhile, the trucks, wheels, nuts, and bolts all aspired to a greater calling in life...
This is my usual method for referencing things like finger placement and muscle structure. There is no body that is better to study than your own..
This is how the preliminary sketch looked; I used a color that wasn't too bold for the outline and mapped out the overall composition. And, as in the photos above, I used my own wincing face for reference.
Adding brown tones for definition, shading and volume...
I started to add Rose to the cheeks and pads in the hands and fingers. I believe there are also touches of yellow, but it's hard to see in this picture.
Here is where I started working on the octopus and filling in the flesh, both blue and beige. The best thing about using Prismacolor pencils is the ability to blend the colors and push the pigments around when layered.
The development of the octopus' texture was achieved using small, painstakingly applied circles..
I wasn't sure how to treat the perimeter of the drawing, so I went ahead and started laying down some graffiti-style arrows and worked my way around, not too heavily, until I got to the top. To ensure that the weight of the border remained on the bottom, I merely shaded in some of the wood grain pattern above the shoulders that seemed to lift up toward the halo.
The tentacles hanging beneath the shoulders was an interesting way to close in the chest and give the figure a sort of rib cage.
The finished product!
"Panacea" 2012 Prismacolor on wood.
Here is a progress shot of the Floater piece I've been working on. At this point, I'd say it's about half-way finished. Lookin' good! :D
I started working on this panel board near the end of Spring term at PSU and have only since threatened it with light edits and subtle rearrangements in composition. It is the first piece that I have ever attempted to fashion a hand-made support structure (i.e., frame) that runs the perimeter of the backside to keep it from bowing. It should help with wall hanging, too. As of late, I have started applying paint to it and I shall post progress shots as soon as I can get a day off from my j-o-b. I'm stoked to see the end result of this piece :)
I MADE THIS!