This is, more or less, a short documentation of the developmental process for my skateboard deck piece "Panacea." I made sure to take pictures as best I could along the way to show the progression of it to completion. I might start doing this for more of my pieces..maybe even some video.
I really didn't know how to approach this project which, to be honest, was spurred solely by a call-to-artists post I found on craigslist for an all skateboard deck art show at a local coffee shop. I was juggling the potential mediums with which to start working and really had no idea what the hell I was going to do until I started doodling with my Prismacolor pencils.
Without any further delay, here is a glimpse from start to finish:
I obviously had to have a flat surface to work on, so I disassembled the hardware from the deck and started sanding off the graphics and grinding the nicks down with an orbital sander. Meanwhile, the trucks, wheels, nuts, and bolts all aspired to a greater calling in life...
This is my usual method for referencing things like finger placement and muscle structure. There is no body that is better to study than your own..
This is how the preliminary sketch looked; I used a color that wasn't too bold for the outline and mapped out the overall composition. And, as in the photos above, I used my own wincing face for reference.
Adding brown tones for definition, shading and volume...
I started to add Rose to the cheeks and pads in the hands and fingers. I believe there are also touches of yellow, but it's hard to see in this picture.
Here is where I started working on the octopus and filling in the flesh, both blue and beige. The best thing about using Prismacolor pencils is the ability to blend the colors and push the pigments around when layered.
The development of the octopus' texture was achieved using small, painstakingly applied circles..
I wasn't sure how to treat the perimeter of the drawing, so I went ahead and started laying down some graffiti-style arrows and worked my way around, not too heavily, until I got to the top. To ensure that the weight of the border remained on the bottom, I merely shaded in some of the wood grain pattern above the shoulders that seemed to lift up toward the halo.
The tentacles hanging beneath the shoulders was an interesting way to close in the chest and give the figure a sort of rib cage.
The finished product!
"Panacea" 2012 Prismacolor on wood.
At the beginning of 2011, I was approached by a friend of mine who had proposed to me a project for which he would need some illustrations to supplement a card game that he had under development, à la Magic the Gathering and Dominion. I don't play these types of games myself, but two of my younger brothers used to collect and play with Magic cards and I have definitely spent time poring over some of the amazing artist renditions of goblins, golems and other creatures that have appeared on the various cards throughout the years of the game's production.
This card game, however, is based on Greek mythology and the illustrations are to be executed in whichever medium I see fit. So far, I've been entertaining various ideas with some proper concept art that has spread over and throughout my sketchbook. I absolutely love this era of Greek history and am having one hell of a good time researching and finding out more and more about each creature and deity.
Anyway, I just wanted to toss some scans of my sketches up for view. I converted them to grayscale in order to overpower the natural tones of the paper and I also tweaked the contrast a bit to get rid of a lot of the smudging as well as emphasize the pencil lines. I believe that I will execute the final illustrations in watercolor...I'm not too positive if that's the dedicated road I'm willing to take as of yet, but I'll know within the first and second attempts whether I should try another route.
As always, I welcome any questions or comments on any of these. Actually, I would be absolutely thrilled to get some feedback! Feel free to drop some comments below!
I MADE THIS!